The latest around the National Football League. Get ready to get sacked.

NFL Times

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Fantasy Nightmare

Just when you figure you can do no wrong in Fantasy Football, the shocking reality of poor performances, injuries, ill advised manager decisions, and plain obscurities hit your lineup. No better example comes to mind than the one my team endured this past Sunday. My lineup features a starting roster of 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR, 1K, 3IDP. At quarterback, I feature both Griese and Pennington; my running backs include Tomlinson, Dillon, McGahee, and D. Davis; my wide receivers include C. Johnson, D. Jackson, Muhammad, R. Smith, and Fitzgerald; my tight end is Shockey; my kicker is Stover; my defensemen include Trotter, Vilma, Harrison, and the injured Z. Thomas. From this lineup I decided to start the following players:
QB: Griese
RB: Tomlinson
RB: Dillon
WR: C. Johnson
WR: R. Smith
TE: Shockey
RB/WR: McGahee
K: Stover
D: Trotter
D: Vilma
D: Harrison

Thus, my first rant has to deal with poor performances, namely C. Johnson’s. With a stat line of 2 receptions for 10 yards, I don’t know what to think of this so called stud. Clearly unacceptable considering he plays his best games against the toughest match ups such as Champ Bailey and Chris McAllister who he burned this year.
Second, the injury by McGahee could not have been timed any worse, since it happened during the playoffs. He has played so well up till now that he is also a part of the reason most teams made it to the playoffs, but against the Bengals, one of the worst rush defenses just hurts so much more.
The ill advised manager decisions have to deal with me not consistently leaving Muhammad in the lineup, but R. Smith going against K.C. and knowing they are horrible against the pass while Atlanta being very stingy at home against the pass made so much sense. However, logic continues to mean nothing for the N.F.L. as we look at the last category of plain obscurities.
Someone explain to me how Griese, one of the hottest passers this year, puts up a stat line of 118 yards 1TD 1Int against the worst defense this century has seen? The Saints almost let you score at will, it was a match up made in heaven, but not when you have a fantasy nightmare week, it happens to all of us. To add insult to injury, most of my starters were outscored by their counterparts on the bench including Pennington, D. Davis, Muhammad, and Fitzgerald.

Well, now since I have vented and seen my fantasy championship game wash away, the fantasy nightmare well be left to haunt another team come next Sunday. Feel free to comment on this story or write on a similar story about your fantasy nightmare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home